Argan oil is pressed from the nut of the fruit from the argan tree, which is only found in Morocco. The trees live to be 150 to 200 years old, and they do not start producing fruit until they are between 30 and 50 years old. Since the argan tree is sourced from a very limited area, the oil itself is quite rare.
Within the past several years argan oil has been introduced to a global market as a beauty elixir. It’s become increasingly popular and many companies are jumping on the argan oil bandwagon. If you haven’t used argan oil before, you probably have a lot of questions. Everyone raves about its benefits, but what are they? How do you use it? Where can you buy it? Read on to have your questions answered.
What are the beauty benefits of argan oil?
Argan oil is one of the best beauty products out there. It’s ultra-hydrating and natural, so if you have sensitive skin or prefer to use natural products, you don’t have to worry about putting harsh chemicals on your skin or hair.
Because it’s such a potent product, a little argan oil goes a very long way, and incorporating it into you beauty regimen is easy:
- Hair: Argan oil is a great product to calm frizzy ends, add moisture to dry hair and add a little shine. Apply it your hair while it’s still damp for an all over treatment or apply it just to your ends to smooth flyways when your hair is dry.
- Scalp: If you’re dealing with a dry scalp, apply some argan oil to a cotton ball and dab your scalp with the oil. Do this before bed and you’ll give your scalp plenty of time to soak up the moisture before you shower in the morning.
- Face: Applying pure oil to your face, especially if you have oily skin, might seem a little counterintuitive. It goes against everything skincare companies have taught us! But argan oil balances out your skin’s natural oil production and completely transforms your skin, making you look more radiant. Its hydrating properties are also great on wrinkles and help to plump up skin. Use it as a daily moisturizer before you layer on your SPF.
- Body: You can use argan oil as a full body moisturizer, applying it just as you would a body lotion or cream. Apply the oil right after you get out of the shower while your skin is still wet for the best moisturizing results.
- Hands: Argan oil is a great treatment for your hands, especially on your cuticles and nails if they’re prone to cracking and peeling. Hydrated hands are youthful hands.
What kinds of products should I use?
Because of the scarcity factor, argan oil is definitely a mid-range beauty product that you can expect to spend a decent amount of money on. However, because it’s so concentrated, you only need to use a small amount and the product will last for a long time. It also eliminates the need to buy separate products for your face, hands, hair, body, etc. because it’s so multipurpose and beneficial. Ditch everything else and use argan oil from head to toe.
Many companies, in addition to offering pure argan oil, have introduced a full line of other argan oil-infused products, like shampoo and conditioner, hairspray, hair masks, lotion and makeup. To get the best benefits purchase from a line that use 100% pure Moroccan argan oil.